Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Angry Baker...

Hello y'all! Yes I know it's been a while since I posted something but life gets in the way! I'm sure if I was paid to blog then I would put more effort into it because if I didn't I'd be starving!

As you can see the title of this entry you'll know I'll be talking about baking. I tried baking cupcakes the other day and it did not turn out well. As my bf would say: "you're a happy cook but an angry baker." So true, so true. Here's what makes me angry when it comes to baking. lol

1. The measurements have to be EXACT. Use too much butter, you're screwed. Use too much sugar, you're screwed. Used too much baking powder, you're screwed. You get the picture. Sure if you're a professional then you'll know what to do but a commoner like me I most likely will NOT know what to add to make it balance. If I did this for a living I'm pretty sure I'd be fired.

2. Oven temperature and timing has to be EXACT. Accidentally leave the cupcakes in for another 2 minutes? Uh-oh no you have a hard crust on top and it's not as moist. Baked the cookies in a 450 degree oven instead of 350? Uh-oh you got burnt cookies.

3. I'm not familiar with all of the ingredients that is required in certain recipes. I guess that goes the same for cooking. *shrug* For example: cream of tartar, when I hear the word "tartar" I think of beef tartar or tartar sauce for your fish and chips but for baking? I recently discovered this ingredient while I was attempting to make Snickerdoodle cookies. Now explain to me why is it called cream of tartar but it's sold in powder form? Apparently you can use white vinegar as a substitute if you can't find cream of tartar. Interesting.

4. It's hard and too much work to decorate cupcakes, cookies, cake, etc. Maybe I'm just not that artistic or too lazy. It may be the latter. I have trouble with the piping bags for crying out loud, had to youtube how to put the piping tips in the piping bag. lol It's just too much work to make your baked goods look pretty. It all looks the same when you eat them. *rubbing tummy* Look at the picture to the right, that looks awesome and so cute! It's Cookie bloody Monster! I wouldn't be able to do that for the life of me, sure maybe with a lot of practice but really who has time? But man! Two thumbs up for the creativity! Totally jealous.

I must admit after all the heartache, troubles and a very dirty kitchen you are well rewarded with your finished product (if you bake it correctly that is). I just don't like the journey getting there. I'll leave it to the professionals and I will happily hand over my money for the convenience. Yes, I know baking is therapeutic for some people and some people love baking and that's awesome but to spare my bf, I won't bake as much because as the title says I'm an angry baker.

Happy eating!

"The torch of love is lit in the kitchen." ~ Unknown


So bloody cute! My head's about to explode like the bottom right cupcake. lol

***Please note the pictures here are not mine obviously since I confessed I don't know how to decorate my baked goods. =o)

No comments: